Open source is generally a good idea to save some cost but not always, especially when storing valuable data or information. Why? Ask these questions yourselves.
- How do you deal when you face a critical database issue?
- Whom do you reach for database support?
- Can an open-source community always answer your database issue promptly?
- Is your production database always up-to-date with the latest security and industry-standard security practice?
- Do you have automated backup policy and can you clone your database in no time?
- Are you able to apply the database security patch on time without downtime?
- Is your hardware availability can survive due to technical problems?
- Can you afford to replace the hardware of your database in case of physical failure?
- Can your database easily and elastically switch over to a data redundancy centre without impacting user experience or data loss?
- Can your database scale up as more compute power needed without interruption?
- Is your database able to optimize its tables, indexes, parallelism and SQL plans automatically?
I think you know the answer, but you can always change your database and be best protected.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) with Autonomous Database is the right solution for these questions and there are more features than I mentioned here. Every one of the above questions leads to one answer to the converged database and always up-to-date latest Exadata Infrastructure.
Your database drives itself, secures itself and repairs itself without a single modification to the database structure. How great is that?
When you decided to migrate from PostgreSQL to Oracle Autonomous database, how do you do it without downtime? Well, Oracle GoldenGate can always help you to migrate between heterogeneous databases.
Let me list down what you will need:
- Oracle Cloud Account
- A source Postgresql database to be migrated
- An autonomous database in OCI: this is our target database with all the benefits I mentioned.
- GoldenGate Classic for non-Oracle databases: this will extract your source database.
- GoldenGate Microservices for Autonomous Database: this will apply your extracted data from source to ADB.
Why do we need two different GoldenGate instances? Because your source is non-Oracle and the target is Autonomous. Migration sounds very complicated but very easy indeed because we have a workshop for you, which explains everything in just 5 small labs.
- In the first step of the workshop, you will prepare your cloud-shell environment in the OCI web console. It has many tools included such as terraform, OCI command-line tool, python etc.
- Then in lab 1, you will prepare your work environment and create your lab resources using a Terraform script. It takes only 5-7 minutes to create a source PostgreSQL, a target ATP, a cloud network, a Goldengate Classic and a Goldengate Microservices virtual machines. Very convenient!
- In previous two steps, we created all of the necessary resources in OCI. Now it is time to create your target schema in Autonomous database.
- With Oracle GoldenGate Classic for PostgreSQL, you can perform initial loads and capture transactional data from supported PostgreSQL versions. In lab 3, you will create extract processes in the classic deployment from the source database and ship the extracted files to GoldenGate Microservices. Why? Because GoldenGate classic doesn't have an easy mechanism to apply straight to Autonomous Database.
- The final lab of this workshop will guide you on how to set up a simple migration to ATP using Goldengate Microservices. Replication from on-premises to cloud or cloud-to-cloud platforms can easily be established and managed with Microservices. This will allow you to deploy Oracle GoldenGate in an off-box architecture, which means you can run and manage your Oracle GoldenGate deployment from a single location.
The terraform script in lab 1, has magically altered GoldenGate Microservices, as you can see that you already have your target database is registered. All you need to do now is add a replication process in the web console, so just follow along with the lab steps.
Okay, after completing this lab, what should you do? Replicate the workshop for your custom PostgreSQL database and migrate to the Oracle Autonomous Database. Here is the reminder of the benefits:
- Your database will run on the latest Exadata Infrastructure.
- It is in the cloud, no need to pay for expensive hardware failure or replacement.
- Oracle Cloud support answers your need 24/7.
- Autonomous Database has SLA 99.95% high rate.
- Self-driving without maintenance, self-securing from any attacks and self-repairing without downtime.
- Just 1-click Autonomous Dataguard for your database, and you can switch over to standby any time.
- Machine Learning optimises database workload, parallelism, indexes and SQL plans, no DBA needed.
- It automatically scales up whenever you needed more compute power, cools down when you don't need anymore. Of course you pay only what you used.
- You can create your test/dev databases from production backups easily. It means that all your application environments from production down to development will have the same database engine and the same data structures.
- Low code application development APEX is included, pretty straight forward to use.
I will run this workshop on May 12, 2021 with more explanation and details. Make sure you register yourself and your colleagues to save your seats today using this link! We will also provide you a free cloud trial account as a playground.
See you there!